Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Money, Power, Fame by Silina Houston

Have you ever heard of the expression money is the root to all evil? Most people have but if you have not, the reason for this saying is that most people will do anything for money. Whether good or bad, people will take desperate measures jus to gain a dollar. This is immoral and absolutely upsetting to me because it is obvious that people choose to put money above things of far more importance. Money, power and fame seem to go hand in hand. People who have gained fame usually gain riches and they thrive on having power. These three things that seem to be so wonderful can also be very dangerous.

Money to me is the least important. Although a certain amount of money is necessary for life, it is not something that should be longed for. Money is material and it cannot bring happiness. Many people strive to gain riches with the hopes of becoming happy; however, happiness has to come from within. It has to come from joy that cannot easily be taken away. A person should find pleasure with the simple things in life. My grandmother always says that the best in life are free. As a younger child I did not understand what this meant, but as I got older, I realized that she was simply saying that a person should learn contentment with the simplicity of life. This value that has stayed with me and it is a good reminder that helps me keep focus in a world that values materialistic things over more important things like God, family, and friends.

Money is something that is a necessity but it is the least important thing on my list simply because it causes anger, frustration, and it is often mistaken for a replacement of happiness. Although the love of money is the root of all evil and not money itself, it is still of least importance to me simply because people try to use money to fill many voids in life when what is really missing is the relationship of a higher power.

No comments:

Post a Comment